No Squeek Bed Base

on July 11, 2015

When we moved into our new house, we wanted to update all of our bed bases and matresses. The mattresses we got from Makin Mattresses but we found it difficult to choose a bed frame that we liked and which we knew would never squeak. I’ve bought expensive and cheap bed frames and they all seem to “get the squeak” after a while. I’ve had a few bed frames that caught the squeak and I tried to fix it with screws or glue but it never seemed to fix it for long.

I find squeaking bed frames to be particularly annoying, you move around at night and the bed squeaks, sometimes waking you up. My kids love jumping on their beds, which results in the bed frame “getting the squeak” much quicker. A bed is for quiet time not for mimicking the sounds of mice at a karaoke bar.

There are also a few other things I’ve learned when getting a bed frame:

  1. you want one that you cannot bang your shin on. Not much wakes you up quicker than when you are stumbling to the toilet in the middle of the night and you bang your shin on the bed frame.
  2. I prefer not to see the legs of a bed frame, if it has legs, I do not want to see them (the floating look)
  3. I want to be able to vacuum under them easily, it is surprising how much fluff accumulates under them.
  4. I like storing things under beds and using up otherwise unusable space.
  5. I want my mattress to breath
  6. I don’t want my bed frame to sag in any way.

I couldn’t seem to find a bed frame that fulfilled all of these needs or at least it wouldn’t at some point be unable to fulfill these needs. Since I hadn’t found a bed that had all these features, I realised that I was going to have to design a bed frame from scratch. I had the measurements of the queen and single mattresses I needed to make bed frame for and used those as my starting point.

I made the bed frame from 70x35mm structural construction pine (not treated in any way).

I cut the X/Y pieces of the frame so that where each of them crossed each other, that they slotted together, like weaving them. I then glued them with polyurethane glue that expanded as it dried (a little bit like foam) to fill in any gaps and before the glue dried, I screwed the frame together. This created a rectangle for the slats to sit on.

I then used 70x70mm pine for the legs, fixed inside the bed frame enough so that it was always stable but under enough that I could not see them. Luckily I took a stab at this measurement while building my first version and found that it was correct the first time.

To edge the bed frame, I used 140x19mm pine and screwed it to the bed frame.