Dining Table

on December 12, 2017

When I moved into my new house, I spent several months searching for a dining room table to replace the temporary one we had been using. In that time, I had not found one that suited my needs, so I had started to entertain the possibility that I might need to make my own.

I have done a fair amount of woodworking but nothing as large or complex as a dining room table. Building furniture that is both beautiful, functional and sturdy holds it’s own challenges that require specific skills that I was wasn’t ready to commit the time to learning.

I made the decision to make my own dining room table when I was helping a neighbor to clean out an old garage. During the clean out, we found two large pieces of teak which the neighbor was going to throw out. Instead of throwing them out I decided to use them to build a table. If my skills were not up to producing the result I was looking for, the teak would provide me the ability to practice my skills. The two pieces were not big enough on their own as the top of a dining table but joined together they would be the perfect size for the space I had.

I purchased some 50x50mm galvanised steel pipe to use for the legs. I borrowed a welder and cut and welded the steel into the base and legs of the table. While welding, I was careful not to blow through the metal but also made sure I completely covered any gaps between the legs. Once I was finished, I used a grinder to grind the welds flush to piping so the legs looked seamless.

Below you can see the legs after I have finished welding them. I put the two pieces of teak on the top to make sure legs suited before I joined them together.



I painted the legs with metal primer using a spray can and then painted the legs black using the same brand of spray paint.

I joined the two pieces of teak using a biscuit joiner and polyurethane glue.

To smooth out the table and make sure both pieces were level, I used a belt sander and then a orbital sander. To round the outside edges of the table, I used a router with a 10mm rounding bit.

To protect the table top, I used bees wax. I initially decided to apply it using a rag and cloth but after about 10 minutes of doing this, I realised I had made the incorrect choice (it would take me hours). I purchased a lambs wool buffer that fit into a drill and used it to apply the wax.

Below you can see that I have started to wax the table top. The legs were still not painted in this photo.



With the component pieces now complete, all I needed to do was join the table to the legs. I used bolts glued into recesses I drilled into the underside of the table top. The shaft of the bolts went through holes in the legs and some nuts to hold the table in place.

All in all the table came out much better than I expected.